Fort Tryon Park Guidelines for Wedding Ceremonies
Thank you for your interest in Fort Tryon Park as you plan your wedding ceremony. In order for your wedding ceremony to be a pleasurable experience, we would like for you to be aware of restrictions that apply to events in the park. Ceremonies are generally held on the Linden Terrace, Billings Lawn, or Abby’s Lawn. They are not permitted in the Heather Garden proper.
- No amplified sound
- No alcoholic beverages
- No tying balloons or any decorations to branches or tree trunks
- No birdseed or rice is permitted.
- No vehicles are permitted on Parks property or pathways, only in parking lots.
- Parking is not permitted in Margaret Corbin Traffic Circle.
- Cooking or open fires are not permitted in Fort Tryon Park.
- Furniture (tables, chairs, tents, etc.) is prohibited in the park.
- $ 25.00 non-refundable Event Permit application processing fee is required.
- If you plan on taking your wedding photographs in the park, please designate two areas on your permit application and approximate time for photos.
- There is a five-hour maximum time permitted for your wedding setup, ceremony, photography, and breakdown.
- Permit Applications must be submitted at least 30 days before your preferred date, with six months lead time recommended given demand for ceremonies. To submit an application via internet, go to www.nyc.gov/parks and follow links to Special Events & Permits. Or print out the permit application and send with a self addressed stamped envelope and a check for $25.00 made out to City of New York Parks & Recreation and send to:
City of New York Parks & Recreation
Manhattan Special Events
24 West 61st 5th Floor
New York, NY 10023
- For inquiries following a submitted request form, please call Administrator’s office of Northern Manhattan Parks at (212) 795-1388 ext. 300. Please note, in most instances, only the permit office can accurately assess whether a date is still available.
- Please note that Fort Tryon is a public park, and public access to any particular area cannot be restricted, even with an event permit.
- When in the Heather Garden, you must stay on the pedestrian paths at all times. Wedding Photography is prohibited in the Heather Garden.
- Parks & Recreation CANNOT issue permits for any activity on The Cloisters property or lawns. Any events planned for The Cloisters or the Cloisters adjoining lawns must secure the permission of The Cloisters.
- A reception at the New Leaf Cafe does not guarantee space in Fort Tryon Park for a wedding ceremony. A permit from Parks & Recreation is still required.